Wednesday, January 28, 2009

January 15- Diagnosis Day

This was the day that the entire journey started for me. I was diagnosed with Invasive Ductal Carcinoma at age 36. There is no history of breast cancer in my family and only a couple of cancer cases in the entire family. I was shocked and devastated of course but after the initial shock I knew that I had to empower myself with knowledge for the fight. Others have been through this I told myself and I am sure that my case is not the worst they have ever seen!
I came home from work and poured through www.breastcancer.org , www.livestrong.org and www.cancer.org- all excellent sites with credible information. I was in research mode and remember only breaking down when Ryan came home and when I told my mom. There really was no time for sadness. I felt I had better get busy.
Not long after I got home, my family and friends gave me endless love and support with visits and phone calls. I am grateful for their love as I would not have the strength and courage needed for the road ahead if not for them.
Sometimes a frightful event is necessary to make it clear to you that the only thing that matters is your life, your family and your friends- all else is pretty insignificant.

No comments:

Post a Comment